MECAL Certificate Fees for Marine Surveyors
MECAL Marine Surveyor Certificate Fees (From 1st March 2012)
The fees listed here are certification fees. Please note that survey fees are additional & vary according to location, complexity & condition of the vessel & to the degree of preparation of the vessel for the survey. The fees listed here are certification fees.
ALL CODE VESSELS
|Vessels < 15m ,not requiring Annual Survey||Vessels 15m + over or those requiring an Annual Survey & Pilot Boats|
|Issue of Certificate – initial & 5-year renewal||150||180|
|Annual Retention Fee||78||150|
|Amendment & re-issue of Certificate||78||78|
|Supplement for Owners/Managing Agents based abroad (applied to the above fees for single vessels – reduced for groups)||30||30|
|Issue of Cert of Survey for Tonnage (<24M)||120||120|
|Issue of Cert of Survey for Tonnage (>24M)||-||250|
|Tonnage Calculation Fees >24M (from supplied lines/GA drgs)||-||750|
|Stability Information Book Approval (intact stability)||-||375|
|Stability Information Book Approval (extra for damage stability)||-||175|
VAT can be treated as zero rated or exempt (as applicable) for fees associated with statutory surveys/certification carried out directly by MECAL Amendment = re-issue of certificate arising from change of code or vessel details, change of owner, change of address, change of vessels name, or transfer from other Certifying Authority. No additional charge is made if such changes occur at the annual certification date.
- MECAL aims to be competitive by efficient and professional management from our fully staffed office in Plymouth.
- Small fleets of Cat.6 vessels may be certificated as a single operation under one certificate. Fees will be negotiated, depending on the complexity of the operation.
- Change of owner of a MECAL coded vessel will incur a certificate fee as shown above for Certificate Amendment. The vessel will require an examination by an authorized examiner under the scope of a reduced annual examination. Survey fees for such examination are charged extra according to vessel complexity, location & the degree of preparation.
- Transfer of a vessel to MECAL from another Certifying Authority will incur a fee as in 3 above, for re-issue of the certificate. The vessel will not normally be subject to overdue examinations or outstanding issues under the previous Certifying Authority examination by an authorized examiner provided that there are no ?
- Survey fees for all surveys carried out by MECAL are based on time & are therefore set according to the complexity of the vessel, location & the degree of preparation. Owners are encouraged to keep such fees to a minimum by careful preparation of the vessel for survey using the vessel SCV2 as a guide or, in the case of a vessel newly coming into code, by the issue of detailed code specifications & free advice from our technical department. The technical specifications are available to all clients on request.
- Vessels requiring annual surveys are those that fit into 1 or more of the following categories:
Operating in Area Categories 0 or 1
Carrying 16 or more persons
Carrying more than 1000kg of cargo
Fitted with crane
Workboat with Pilot Boat Endorsement
Certain other vessels deemed by MECAL to carry additional risk (e.g. certain categories of old wooden vessels & vessels of high complexity & where recommended by surveyor)
- Stability book approval for all vessels is carried out by MECAL Technical Department. The quoted fees assume that the books are presented in the required format. If this is not the case, any resulting additional time spent in carrying out the approval will result in additional fees being charged according to the time spent.
- Occasional surveys carried out directly by MECAL following damage, detention, modification or otherwise as deemed necessary to verify the condition of a vessel, will be charged at the MECAL current rate (please contact the office for advice on this) . These charges will vary for vessels located abroad.
- When the process of certification does not proceed, MECAL’s policy is to normally refund the certificate fee but we reserve the right to retain an amount commensurate with any work that may have been performed by MECAL admin or technical staff.
- Non payment of survey or certificate fees will prevent issue of the certificate and/or annual licence disc. It is illegal to operate commercially without these being on board.
Proud members of
Here are some snippets of recent reviews. they can be seen in full on our testimonials page, or on the facebook and google+ links above
“I was very pleased with the survey that you carried out for me,It was comprehensive and at a fair price ,done when I wanted and it was very useful to be able to discuss you findings with you” Chris Forsyth. Olympic 500C. December 2014
I had Matt survey my Rinker 232 in September 2014, he was very thorough and answered any questions I had. Overall an excellent service without fault or delay so if you are looking for a marine survey I would highly recommend Matt. Terry Goulty. Rinker 232 December 2014
“Living in Sweden I found an interesting Beneteau First 305 in the Southampton area. Searching for a surveyor I found Matt West. He made a pre-purchase condition survey to great value for me. He also taught me a lot about this boat model. Knowing the status of the boat we had a nice sailing trip home to Sweden.” Jörgen Haslum December 2014
... A really nice guy, very knowledgeable and helpful. The report was clear and easily understood and all findings were clearly put into perspective for me. Thoroughly recommended! Peter Bristow, Haywards Heath May 2014
Excellent survey at a very reasonable price and the report was received the following morning … Matt was also happy to offer further free advice on the phone several weeks later and I’m sure even years later he’d continue to do so. …. Gary from Fleet. April 2014
…Matt did a great job, supporting me from start to finish and coming up with common sense solutions to potentially tricky problems. I will certainly be instructing Matt for my future surveying needs.Paul Lovejoy, Emsworth Feb 2104
…His inch by inch and nut and bolt complete survey was broken down into easy to understand sections that graded the work to be done using a simple star grading system. ….. He gave me the confidence to make my purchase, undertake the repairs and to have a boat now which has given me many happy hours of sailing. Mark Wood Portsmouth
Our 1984 Sunseeker 25 XPS Portofino required a safety / condition report for insurance purposes. This was carried out very efficiently and without fuss. P. Crowther-Wilton, Banbury 1st January 2014
Matt West was recommended to me …. the service he provides is prompt, reliable helpful and efficient. From initial call to receiving my survey took just a week. I would have no hesitation in recommending Matt” Andrew Campbell
Sent from my iPad December 2013
The previous owner, ….. was very impressed with your level of detail and testing and has kept your details to use your services when he buys his next boat. ….. we are very happy with her and in the knowledge that she has had a very thorough and detailed survey performed on her by a very knowledgeable and professional company. Dave D. December 2013
As a foreigner, having someone local you can trust, acting as your eyes and your ears and helping you to keep you with both feet on the ground, is an investment that’s worth every penny. Joris Van Roy, Belgium December 2013
He went out of his way to be helpful and even accompanied us on the sea trial. He produced an extremely comprehensive survey report and so far 3 months on I have not found a single thing he has missed. He is an accomplished professional with an in depth knowledge of boats and has been an invaluable source of advice. I would have no hesitation in recommending him to you, you would have to go a long way to find anyone better.” Mike S. December 2013
I have used surveyors when buying boats previously and none came up to the standard of service provided by Matt. Peter V. Sea Ray 240 July 2013
A very friendly and exceptionally helpful service, I would definitely recommend them. Rosie T. 43′ Narrow boat June 2013